What is a crown?
A crown, sometimes called a cap, is a dental restoration that is often used to restore a seriously damaged or decayed tooth. The dental crown is custom made to mimic the original shape and size of the tooth. The crown is then placed directly over the top of the tooth, entirely encasing it up to the gum line. By covering the damaged tooth, a dental crown in Fairbanks, Alaska, can protect the tooth and improve your overall oral health, beauty, and function.
Do I need a crown?
Dr. Derek Lowe may suggest a dental crown for your smile for a number of reasons; crowns are very versatile and can be used for various restorative and cosmetic purposes. A custom dental crown can be utilized to:
- Complete and cover a dental implant
- Attach and support a dental bridge
- Protect a tooth that has undergone root canal treatment
- Strengthen a tooth that is cracked or weakened
- Support a large filling if little original tooth structure is left
- Enhance the appearance of a severely stained or discolored tooth
- Improve a misshapen tooth
- Restore a seriously decayed, damaged, or worn tooth
Your dentist will ensure that your crown fits comfortably and aesthetically. For more information on dental crowns, we welcome you to contact us soon at Alaska Dental Arts.